Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mamma Mia Italiana!

Shanna Bayless

Section 4


Every country has a food staple that is known all over the world. Germany has its beer and schnitzel, Japan has its sake and sushi and United States has its Coca-Cola and hamburgers. None of these compare to how far people will go to get authentic Italian wine and pasta. Italian food became popular in the northern states around 1980’s when Americans started experimenting with new dishes. Italian cuisine though has been around since before the rise of Rome.

In the expansion of Rome their main diet consisted of grains, wild herbs, honey, cheese, vegetables, and a small quantity of meat which were mainly used for agriculture and were only sacrificed and consumed only on religious feats or celebrations such as weddings and births (Parasecoli 7). Italy started to become very friendly with trading the Mediterranean which influenced their daily diet. Foods such as cherries, peaches, fowls, peacocks and spices from far east not only created a connection with other countries but added more variety to their dishes. Dinner became the main meal of the day and lunch was often made from bread and cold cuts left over from dinner the night before. This is still the way it is done today. Breakfast consists of cappuccino and a brioche pastry either with fruit filling or plain. To this day Italians still get most of their food from street markets and meat (butcher) markets.

When people think of Italian food they mainly think of Olive Garden or pizza and lasagna which is far from Italian cuisine. Yes, they are known for their pizza but you would be hard-pressed to find an authentic Italian pizza in the states. The look of, taste, texture, ingredients are far from what we expect a pizza to be in the states. Also in most restaurants they do not serve lasagna and it’s quite hard to find. Pasta on the other hand can be quite similar depending on what village you go to. The different small towns and provinces can be very proud and sometimes even hostel towards their specific dishes. For example Modena is known for their Balsamic Vinegar and Sicily is known for their blood oranges. There are also certain dishes known to be found in

only certain towns.

Another famous staple of Italian cuisine is wine or vino and cheese or formaggio. Wine in Italy is usually found best from family vine owners and the older the better, with the exception of most lambrusco wines which are sparkling wines or summer wines which only need age for about a year. What goes best with wine? Cheese of course! Most cheese that we use in the states comes from Italy such as parmesan, asiago and mozzarella. True Italian parmesan is usually found in large wheels that age for about 12 months.

Italian celebrations are truly spectacular. For weddings and baptisms you can expect up to an eight course dinner! For Christmas and New Years the usually have large gatherings

of friends or family. The cakes can be bought at a store or made in the home. There can be up to five of these traditional cakes at an event or given as gifts. Ice cream is also part of a big celebratory event. Though yet again it’s nothing like the ice cream in America. In Italy it’s called gelato and is less milk based and for most, more fruit based.

Italian food is so popular but oddly enough it is nothing like we think it is. Nonetheless its culture has rippled into ours giving us another subculture to add to our pot. Their culture has relatively stayed the same throughout history and does not look like its showing any divergence.


Early Roman Diet consisted of grains, wild herbs,honey, cheese, vegetables and small servings of meat.


Mediterranean influences from trading from surrounding countries brought even more variety to diet which included cherries, peaches, fowl, peacocks and spices.

Sample breakfast, lunch and supper:

Breakfast-cappuccino and a fruit filled pastry

Lunch-bread and cold cuts

Dinner-appetizer, pasta, meat dish, salad and either cheese platter or dessert, usually served with wine



American versus Italian:

In the early 1980's Americans started experimenting with other cultural food, especially Italian.

Fabrication of Italian foods that are not found in Italy:

-Olive Garden

-Deep dish pizzas

-Lasagna

-Spaghetti with meatballs


Authentic Italian Pizza:

Italian pizza is nothing like any Pizza Hut, Dominoes, or Tony's New York Pizza can offer.

It is found very thin with olive oil and garlic or can be made with a variety of toppings.


Wine and Cheese:

Wine and cheese are famous staples in Italian Cuisine. Wine is usually best from family wine owners and the older the wine the better with the exception of Lambrusco wine which is a sparkling summer wine which only need to age for one year.

Many types of cheeses come from Italy such as parmesan, asiago and maz

zarella and are usually named for the town or region that it originated. True parmesan is found as large wheels and aged for 12 months!

Celebrations:

For weddings and baptisms, there could be as much as an eight course dinner! Traditional holiday cake might be like this:

Slide 7
Slide 8


Slide 2Works Cited

Parasecoli, Fabio. Food Culture in Italy. 2004. Greenwood Press, Connecticut



Slide 6Slide 4
Slide 5


Slide 3


18 comments:

  1. I love Italian food! Especially their pasta! I would love to go to Italy some day and try authentic Italian food! I always figured that Olive Garden was not real Italian food. In fact I've heard from multiple people that it's even just frozen food they warm up in the microwave before they serve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job on this! Just reading this made me hungry! I would love to go to Italy some day and try an authentic pizza like your talking about, I bet its like nothing we have here in the states. I also wish we could buy our food at the market like they do, it sounds so healthy and fresh. I don't know that it is the healthiest diet though, not a very big lunch and a huge dinner? Isn't that the opposite of what we've learned all these years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever had a real Italian pizza? I have and it is the best thing, my Grandpa makes a great pizza. Also, the pizza that we know and love where born here in America not overseas, it was interesting to read the you put this into your paper. It is a big misunderstanding in our culture to think such things (just like french fries).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to work with Italy people, they took their food seriously ... nothing but the best including the homemade bread. I never heard of olive oil and garlic until I work for them. The restaurant would include vegetarian lasgna and meat lasgna along with greek salad, pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Italian food and culture are very interesting. Italy is very popular for its wine and cheese. Also pasta is known to be Italian. I wish we had more authentic Italian restaurants in the states. Great job on your report!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are several different regions in Italy and each area serves a different type of food. I think that only one tiny area serves lasagna. I know that I have been guilty of thinking that all people there eat the same. Courtney mentioned that the diet may not be that healthy, surprisingly the countries in the Mediteranrean Region have a lower incidence of disease similar to Asian countries. This may be attributed to a diet mostly high in fruits, vegetables and grains. I enjoyed learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm Hello? Italy is my kind of place then!My perception of what people in Italy actually eat was completely different than what they really consume. I would love eating there because pastries in the morning, bread and cold cuts for lunch, Pasta and salad for dinner, and cheese platters with wine sounds delicious. I had no idea that the cheese there is on a big wheel and aged for 12 months! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a painful mistake to read this report while I'm hungry! The depth of information about Italian culture and foods is overwhelming. Since I'm used to nothing but "American Italian" food I'm eager to try out some authentic Italian food to compare and contrast the difference in taste and texture. I'd like to know what spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna originated from since they aren't considered authentic Italian dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shanna,

    take a look at my paper on wine. I wish I would of mention whats good to eat when drinking wine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard from a lot of my European friends that there is a big difference in how pizza is made here and Europe. For one ours is 10x greasier and cheesier from what I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the chance to try an authentic italian pizza. the crust was made with olive oil and the topping was seafood. The taste is very different from american pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This report makes we really want to take a trip to Italy. I can only imagine how delicious the food is there! Although I am sad that what I've always considered good Italian is just another thing the US has kind of messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom buys a box of panettone, just like the one you have a picture of, around the holidays. We are not italian, but living in New York you are surrounded by italian food everywhere. Italian just might be my favorite type of food. My best friends parents are italian and they cook the most amazing food! Great information, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to see how much time and detail the Europeans put into their food. It's like an art form with how delicious and amazing their dishes truly are. I'd love to go to Italy someday and try a little bit of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew how different American style Italian is from authentic, but I never considered that spaghetti and meatballs wouldn't be found in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a very big fan of all types of pasta. I love to go to Olive Garden even though it is not real Italian food. But I can not wait to have the chance to visit Italy to taste a real Italian meal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to shop at a market. Not only does it seem more fresh and healthy but it sounds so fun and just cute! I have always wanted to go to Italy. I like pizza but im not a HUGE fan (at times) but I would definitely have to try a real italian pizza while I was there, they sound so good and I would just want to say I ate pizza in Italy! I love pasta, Im not a big veggie fan though so I want it plain, but im sure that real italian pasta would be magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm Italian and originally from New York and good pizza is definately hard to find around here. Everything seems to be Dominos and Papa Johns which is definately not the same. I love Basalmic in which the people from Modena are proud of. I never thought certain parts of Italy are known for certain items but I guess that is similar to the US.

    ReplyDelete