Monday, March 23, 2009

Birthday Celebrations

Lindsay Shuler
Section 5








Food is the ultimate gathering necessity and over the years all cultures as a whole have added certain things that symbolized important things in their lives. For example, in Northern China, wheat noodles are used as a sign of longevity and put in a birthday soup, to help the person have a long and prosperous life. In all cultures there are different rituals that are done each birthday, some may include food and others may not.

It wasn’t until about a century ago, in the United States when birthday cakes took their role. Years before this, “cakes” were made from yeast resembling a pancake and used as a treat for the birthday celebrant. Cakes began to include dried fruit or fruit filling for special occasions in Europe during the fourteenth century. In the sixteenth century an Italian baker started making cakes with eggs and sugar rather than using yeast, giving it a lighter, more fluffy texture. This trend grew rapidly, but without more modern technology it was hard for the regular household to make one of these cakes, so at this time this was usually left up to a professional baker or pastry chef.

By the turn of the twentieth century, more modern products were being made to aid housewives in making cakes and other baked goods. Women’s magazines and newspapers were advertising for these products and also including some new recipes for them to try with their new products. Since cake making was made so easy, the spread of lavish, homemade cakes grew in a hurry. Layered cakes, frosting, decorations were of the utmost importance when making a cake.
When the birthday cake came into the spotlight, they were used for centerpieces at large parties or banquets and the more detailed the cake was, the more important was the event. In many instances, the way the cake was decorated meant more than how it tasted. I am sure that this is a changed in today’s times, but from looking at some of the cakes it seems that if the more decorated the cake was, it meant that the family or recipient had money.

Birthday cakes have come a long way from their plain fruit-filled shape back in the early European days. The American birthday cake in today’s time is a symbol of the person whom is being celebrated. For example, a cartoon character for a small child or a hobby for an older adult. Whichever it may be, the cake is the most important thing at a birthday party.

How do we know it’s a birthday cake?

This question has only one answer and it is the candles. Atop a finely created cake there should always be glowing candles. The candles resemble time, and represent how old a person is. This idea comes from mainly religious influences and signify a long life span.

Over time we have developed many birthday rituals and no birthday party is complete without them. First, the presenting of the cake is always accompanied by the “Happy Birthday” song, and then followed by the birthday boy/girl making a secret wish and blowing out the candles. In many other countries they have their own version of the song, and is sung in the same tune or sometimes different, but always in their native language. For younger children, the birthday party is to promote health and growth over the upcoming year and in older people it celebrates another year of life and gives encouragement for a youthful year to come. But all birthday’s should include birthday spankings, and in many American homes they give the recipient “one to grow on.”

Birthdays and birthday cakes have come a long way from the centuries before now, but now no ones special day is complete without one of these wonderful, meaningful, and delicious creations.





www.google.com/images/birthdaycakes
http://www.enotes.com/food-encyclopedia/birthday-foods
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html#poundcake
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcookies.html#shortbread

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about this history of birthday cakes. It is interesting to know that the more decorated the cake, the more of a social status it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I thought was most interesting about this topic is the fact that in older people it celebrates another year of life and gives encouragement for a youthful year to come. I never knew that, so I learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was enlightening to read this report. I never really contemplated what other cultures did for birthday celebrations. In fact, I probably would've just assumed that the birthday cake was somewhat of a universal ritual. It is interesting that the birthday cake is relatively new and that the Chinese actually have a "birthday soup."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the meaning of celebrating birthdays. This will remind me why it's important to celebrate my sons' birthday every year. My age, I could care less (don't want to be reminded), but to them, it mean something more to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wine is made from yeast as well. Seems like everything these days are made from yeast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to see how birthday cake has evolved through the years. I personally like mine drenched in chocolate icing! I think that it is funny that it appeared that the more wealthy or successful the family was that the fancier the cake was. I don't really care how pretty it is, just give me the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think older people I know usually just see birthdays as one day closer to death haha. I don't know if they feel more youthful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Birthday Cakes are so fascinating to me! I love the variety you can have with them and the happy celebrations that come with them. It is interesting that they used to be fruit filling and not really cake. I have seen them made with jello and ice cream in the middle as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthday cakes are such a fun topic! It is amazing to see how much of a staple the birthday cake is a party. Ice cream birthday cake was always my choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Birthdays are a big deal with my family and friends- we always have a party just for the birthday person, with dinner and a delicious cake at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea birthday cakes had such a history! I loved learning about the richly decorated cakes - I suppose people have always tried to find ways to display wealth! Birthday cake is such a great tradition, and so much a part of our culture. I know that I always feel like it's rude to leave a birthday party before having a piece of cake (or perhaps that's just my justification for indulging myself!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was very interesting! Birthday cakes have changed more than I ever would have imagined. My family is very big about celebrating birthdays and each member of my family has a different kind they prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also shocked that birthday cakes have such a history. I thought that this was just the way it has pretty much always been. I did not know that it started as a flat pancake like cake or the the type or amount of decorations had a meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that cakes would not be as fun as they are now if all you got was something that resembled a pancake. My favorite icing on the cake will always be whipped icing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had the same topic and I didn't even learn that cakes more decorated were representative of a higher social status! I also didn't know that they once resembled a pancake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didnt realize the birthday cake used to be so simple...and it's fairly young still!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i had no idea that the borthday cake became a tradition only a century ago. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to laugh at your description of the "one to grow on" my family partakes in the birthday spanking and utilizes the one to grow on! We also do the entire routine, candles, wishes, and singing. It is amazing to learn that it just became the tradition over the last century. I was pleased I would not be getting the wheat noodles for longevity! I will take the flaming sparkling relighting candles anyday!

    ReplyDelete