Friday, March 20, 2009

Eat Your Veggies

Eat Your Vegetables

Jessica Haigler

Section 4



History of Vegetarianism:


Vegetarianism has almost always been around in some sort of way. Many religions and belief systems advocate or demand vegetarianism, including Brahminism, Buddhism, Jainism and Zoroastrianism.

Many early scholars abstained from eating meat, including Diogenes, Plato, Plotinus and Socrates.

Though the belief was practiced, it wasn’t named until 1807 by the Reverend William Cowherd

The Vegetarian Society was formed in 1849.


Many people now practice Vegetarianism, and it is still promoted widely


History of Veganism:


The term “Vegan” was coined in 1944 in the United Kingdom, along with the creation of the Vegan Society.

The consumption of dairy products had long been debated among Vegetarians, and the society began when six concurring “non-dairy vegetarians” met together.

Elsie Shigley began The Vegan Magazine in 1962, which still exists today


This magazine became a source of information for those interested in Veganism.


This eating preference is still not very prevalent, but it’s becoming more and more well-known.


Foods in Vegetarian Diet: Two Types:


Semi-Vegetarians, or Flexitarians

Foods exclude red and white meat.

Can eat birds and fish, but do so sparingly.


Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians:

The most common type of Vegetarianism

No animal is eaten, but eggs and dairy are consumed


Other Living Style Alternatives:

Raw/Living Foodists:


Eat only raw food

Do so because enzymes are destroyed by cooking processes


Fruitarians:


Eat only fruit, fruit-like vegetables (tomatoes), and some seeds and nuts


Advantages of Veganism:


Very healthy way of eating, as long as it’s balances with nutrients

No animals are harmed for the diet

No bad cholesterol

Satisfying to most people who commit

Disadvantages of Veganism:


Very, very difficult to commit to such a strict diet

It can be a more expensive way of eating since fresh foods and natural foods are usually more expensive

Many times vegan substitutes are not available, so the diet is somewhat limited, and eating out can be tough

Some vitamins are more difficult to acquire without eating meat (iron), so supplements can be necessary

Can be negative social stigma associated with it


Advantages of Vegetarianism:

Balanced diet lowers the risk of diseases and obesity

According to World Cancer Research Fund, following a veggie diet reduces the risk of cancer

Some Vegetarians develop strong immune systems

Green, leafy veggies have a good supply of calcium

Vegetarian diets include good amounts of carbs, proteins, and fats, as long as it’s eaten properly


Disadvantages of Vegetarianism:

Vitamin B-12 is not present in Vegetarianism.

Vitamin D is also missing

Finding protein sources can be difficult

Meat is a good source of amino acids not found in many plants

Supplements are necessary to stay healthy


As you can see, there are many different facets to the Vegetarian and Vegan life-styles. Neither choice should be entered into without proper information and consideration. I hope this presentation has helped if you are trying to make a decision, but in the meantime…eat your vegetables!


http://library.thinkquest.org/C004833/history_en.shtml

http://www.vegansociety.com/about_us/history/

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/developm.html

http://www.theveggietable.com/articles/whatisavegetarian.html

15 comments:

  1. I never thought of Vegetarianism as a "belief" but now after reading this I can see how some would view it that way and thats really neat. This topic is something that seems to be coming up a lot in my life lately. My aunt has been a vegetarian for years but she doesn't really eat vegetables, she mainly eats sweets and cheese. I know its a really healthy way of eating, but you have to do it right and I know some people use it to their advantage, but some dont.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consider myself semi-vegetarian most of the time. It's been over a year since I stop eating red meat, but I have to take vitamins, slow FE (couple times a week), and calcium intake. Since I got myself trained not eating red meat, it's hard for me being around it (the smell of it is unappealing). I may missed red meat now and then just because the other food are getting boring to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to share a few web sites with recipes:www.vegweb.com, www.vegcooking.com, www.vegetarianrecipes.org, www.ivu.org/recipes, www.vrg.org/recipe, www.vegkitchen.com
    Some of my favorite dishes to cook are black bean and sweet potato burrito and a fajita made with seitan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that Socrate or Plato were vegeterian. That surprises me.Vegans have an healthy diet but they must take supplements since they cannot find every nutrient easily in their diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting! I had never heard of fruitatians before. Eating only fruit or fruit like vegetables, and seeds and nuts would be very tough for me. I wonder if eating so much fruit would raise ones blood sugar considerably. I personally think that being a vegetarian would be more healthy and beneificial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting report. Like Beth, this is the first time I've heard of a fruitatian. I can't imagine being stuck to a vegetable or fruit-only diet for the rest of my life. Of course it is obvious that a vegetarian diet would be very healthy, as vitamins and protein can be consumed via supplements. But meat is soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed at all of the different "kinds" of vegetarians, and like many others it is the first time I have ever heard of a fruitarian. I tip my hat to those people who live this kind of lifestyle but I do not think that I could do it, I'm too much of a meat girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed learning about the different types of vegetarianism, I never knew that there were so many. Veganism seems very interesting, I would like to learn more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was very interesting. I knew there were different types of vegetarians but I did not know the difference between them all. I think a vegetarian diet can be very healthy for a person and I have heard before that it does reduce the risk of cancer. There are obviously many advantages if the diet is done the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always known of the types of vegetarians but was not aware that there was such a thing as a fruitarian.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my good friends is a vegetarian so I liked being able to become more familiar with this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could never be a vegetarian. But I did not know about the different kinds of vegetarians. I always thought it was just vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun title!

    I was a vegetarian for 3 years while in high school and I wish I still was. It truly takes dedication and heart!

    Good report

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never knew you could be a fruitation! I would actually LOVE to try that sometime. I love fruit, I don't eat it everday because I'm too lazy to go buy it and face it, it's hard to find fresh fruit all the time. During the summer I do eat a TON of fruit. Lot's of watermelon, apples and bananas! I also LOVE peaches. I don't like to add things to them either, I want them fresh:) I could never be a vegetarian seeing as I don't like vegetables basically what so ever, but My best friend was a vegan for almost a year. She said it was VERY hard to do. She is now just a healthy eater. Nothing fried or salted, just baked or grilled with the freshest ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a beef producer, I just don't think I can be a vegiterian.

    ReplyDelete