Sunday, March 22, 2009

French Food Culture

Hidayate Adebo

Section 5

French food is one of the most savoury and refined foods in the world. French food is diverse and each region has its own cuisine.
• The north use butter, potatoes and crème fraiche, pork and beer.
• The southwest uses duck, foie gras and a liquor called Armagnac

Armagnac
• The southeast influenced by Italian cuisine use olive oil, herbs, garlic and tomato
• The east cuisine uses sausage, sauerkraut and beer.
Beside all these regional cuisines we also have basque cuisine which uses a lot of tomato and hot pepper.
Famous French dishes
• Gratin dauphinois

It is a potato casserole made with crème fraiche, milk cheese and spices.
• Ratatouille


It is a mix of vegetables such as onions, green pepper, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes garlic and cooked in olive oil. It is a southern dish




• Coq au vin



It is a chicken dish cooked with wine, mushroom and pork (lardon)


France is also famous for his wines and cheeses.
French wines
There is more than a hundred “ terroirs in France”. A terroir is a region that produces a specific wine. The most famous terroirs are Alsace, Bordeaux, Bourgogne, Champagne, Languedoc, Loire, Provence and Rhone.
Alsace is famous for his “vin blanc” (white wine). The most famous are Riesling and Pinot blanc.
Bordeaux is the most important wine region in France. They produce the best quality of wine in the world. It is the region that produce the famous merlot and cabernet sauvignon.
Bourgogne is famous for its red wine such as pinot noir. This region produces one of the most exciting wines in the world.
Champagne gives his name to the famous champagne wine. It is the most sparkling wine in the world.
Provence wine has a lot of greeks and roman influence. It is produced in the region of Marseille. http://www.terroirs-france.com/

French Cheese
France produce more than 350 types of cheese. Cheese are usually served with wine in France. Here are some famous French cheese

Bleu de bresse

French gruyere


Camembert

Sources:

www.wikipedia.org
http://www.terroirs-france.com/
www.foodtimeline.org

8 comments:

  1. Sorry that I could not get your pictures up with your report. You had mentioned that the east side of France has sausages,sauerkraut and beer, it sounds like Germany. I have heard that where Germany borders France, there is a lot of good bread that the rest of Germany doesn't have. Sounds like the two food cultures have mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like French food, but some of the spices are a little too much. Good information about the wine. Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, and you also mentioned hot pepper and onions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really felt like I had a cultural lesson when reading your report! I'm not terribly familiar with french food, so I appreciated learning what some of them consisted of. I also enjoyed learning what a terroir was, which is a term I had never heard before. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the other French food report, and now I feel like a scholar with French cuisine! I feel that France has one of the most diverse (and most delicious) food cultures in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had ratatouille before and it was really good! I did not know that it was French so I found that very interesting. Good information, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked learning about some of the different french cuisines very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting to read about the foods and that the French are also most famous for their wine and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. French food is an area I do not know a lot about. Ratatouille is something I really want to try after seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete