Friday, March 20, 2009

U.S. Christian Culture by Katie Moore

U.S. Christian Culture
As we have learned, food is an important factor in the United States. Much like food, religion is also important. What do the two have in common? According to the author of our textbook, food is polysemic (Cultural Feast). This means that food is a symbol that can carry a variety of connotations. Religion also has a variety of types, from Christianity to Judaism to Buddhist. Christianity is prominent religion found in the United States (Pew Forum). So how do the two work together?
Before Jesus Christ was crucified, He had a meal with twelve of his closest friends, or the disciples. Jesus said to them “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” (NIV Bible) This meal is now known today as the Last Supper. This was just the beginning of how the Christian culture reflects how food can be utilized in a variety of settings.
Many know the story of how Jesus was crucified but the night before He gathered with the disciples to have one last meal. Just at is now, back then having a meal with someone meant that you were accepted (Keller 8-9) or it was a time of fellowship. The Last Supper in a sense can be broken into two parts. The first is the bread which symbolizes the body of Christ. Jesus took the bread, broke it, and said to them “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” The second part is the cup of wine which symbolized the blood of Christ which was shed for all sinners. He took the cup and said “this cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.”(NIV Bible) The Last Supper is also referred to as communion. With communion, Christians are reaffirming their faith (The Cultural Feast).
The Last Supper sets up for the Christian culture many other ways of fellowship such as this one. For example, many churches have some type of room called the “Fellowship Hall” or a place where the congregation can gather with one another and eat and discuss what is going on in their life. At my home church, every Wednesday night before our evening service, the church would have some type of meal, usually a potluck dinner. According to the Food Timeline, a potluck is a “meal composed of food contributions.”(Food Timeline) In other words, everyone brings some type of dish whether it is a main entrĂ©e, a side dish, or dessert. This type of meal provides a sense of community within the church.
Although fellowship is a key ingredient in the Christian culture, food can also play a vital part in certain beliefs. For example, Seventh-Day Adventists developed strict dietary guidelines as being vegetarians. Seventh-Day Adventists follow this eating habit because they believe it is the healthiest way and they take it from scripture in the Bible. Evidence can be found in the first book of the Bible, Genesis chapter one verse twenty-nine, “I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seeds; to you it shall be for food." (SDADA)
The Christian culture utilizes food in a variety of ways, from fellowship to symbols to dietary guidelines. However one were to look at it, food plays an essential role in this culture.




Works Cited
The Cultural Feast: An Introduction to Food and Society (2nd edition) Bryant, Carol A., Kathleen M. DeWalt, Anita Courtney, Jeffrey H. Schwartz. California: Wadsworth/Thomson, 2003
Food Timeline. Olver, Lynne. 1999. 17 Mar 2009
Keller, T. The Prodigal God Nov. 2008. pg 8-9
The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. 2009.
Seventh-Day Adventists Dietetic Association.

11 comments:

  1. Very interesting how Christian Religion is tied into food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your topic! Got to love those potluck lunches or dinners at church! I got to a Baptist church and they definately know how to cook wonderful, but unfortunately unhealthy food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I am so impressed that you did this topic. Your use of scripture was great. In the Christian religion, the Last Supper and Communion are very significant. It all makes sense that Jesus at his last meal with friends. I am glad that meals together show such a send of community and acceptance. Again, I am impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Christian belief (and I am Christian), the bible tells us that when we get to heaven that we will eat from the tree of life. It also tells us that we won't eat because we need it to sustain our heavenly bodies, but we will eat for the pure joy of eating. WOW!! Won't it be amazing that we will be able to eat, eat, eat, and never have to worry about health problems or getting fat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I am a Christian, I've never really considered just how food-oriented my religion is. Not only is it a time for "fellowship", we also use it as one of our most sacred symbolic rituals. This really made me realize how much my religion is centered around food. Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never realized how food and religion tie together so much and how certain religions follow certain guidelines. Coming from a Baptist background, I dont know what I would do without my fried chicken and mashed potatoes! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could relate to this topic because I have grown up dealing with many of the things you discussed in your paper. I'm not sure that church would be the same without the food! It does bring fellowship among the congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was very interesting how you broke down and explained the last supper. Also how you explained the consumption of the wine and bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Church food brings people. I always notice at my church which is Lutheran, that potluck dinners and lunches always drag in people out of the woodwork. You've never seen so many people in my little southern church until you offer them a meal! I know at my church that we tie food in with everything, and it's always amazing, if it weren't so bad for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a christian and i take the meaning of bread and wine very seriously. the body and the blood. thank you for doing this topic.

    ReplyDelete