Sunday, March 22, 2009

Traditional Norwegian Foods


Erin Bakken

Section 5


In the modern day Norway, many of their foods have been more ‘westernized’. At the same time though, their traditional foods are still popular and generally the meals of Norwegian families. The modern western foods are more present in tourist areas to attract visitors and promise a ‘good meal’.


The main staple of the Norwegian diet is fish and this was the same with the ancestors of Norwegians, the Vikings. Norway has a plentiful source of fish, including cod, herring and the most popular, Salmon. Fish are a very healthy meat, containing lots of Omega 3 fatty acid. This fat can help lower cholesterol. This could be why Norwegian’s are such a healthy population! One famous Norwegian dish is made from dried cod that is then soaked in lye. This dish is known as lutefisk, and is either loved or hated by those who try it. For the diner’s that aren’t so brave, they could try a simple smoked salmon. Seafood bisque is a common breakfast dish, along with the Norwegian’s beloved coffee. In America, fish is not seen as a breakfast food, but in Norway it is just as common as bacon or sausage. Kaviar (or caviar) is widely popular in Norway. While it is a delicacy, Kaviar in Norway comes in small tubes, instead of the glass jars, to keep it longer and making it easier to spread on bread.


Reindeer is another major form of supplement, as well as pork and beef. Reindeer is often served as a steak with traditional sauces to accent the distinct flavor of the reindeer. Sauces are usually made from berries such as juniper berries. Other berries are saved for the desserts, such as cloud berries. These berries are popular with whipped cream and known as a delicacy in Norway. Lamb is served in most households and holiday meals tend to include lamb.


Vikings are the ancestors of Norwegians and generally had a poor diet. Their meals were based on simple foods that were easily accessible, such as potatoes. Even today, the meat is seen more as a side dish than the center of the meal. In America, we base our meals off of the meat. Salted and dried foods also used to be more popular in Norway but in more recent times, the healthier fresh fish is now preferred.


While Norway may slowly become westernized, their traditional foods still overwhelm the new food. Their rich source of fish is one of the main factors in this. Norwegians have a healthy diet, mostly thanks to their number one ingredient, fish!

l.Fish is the
References

http://www.norway-hei.com/foods-of-norway.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_cuisine

http://www.iexplore.com/dmap/Norway/Dining

7 comments:

  1. Their diet sounds like it is more like the Inuit diet except with the berries. I wonder what kind of berries they grow and how do they grow them in the artic cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish is really healthy! I wish the smell of it didn't disgust me, I really want to start eating it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Kavier came from here! I hate it, but it is wanted throughout the world for some reason! I don't know if I would do to well with this diet. A fish based breakfast could never happen in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fish! I never had reindeer though, I wonder if itis good. I have never learned anything that I can remember about Norwegian culture so I learned a lot from this report. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really learned anything about the culture and foods in Norway so I thought this was very interesting. I don't know if I could survive in a place where there main food is some type of fish. I never have really like any type of seafood especially fish. I have tried many kinds but there is something about the smell of fish that I cant get past. Thanks for all the good information!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea Norwegians eat reindeer! I wonder if they sing about reindeer around Christmastime, and how the kids feel about then eating them! I also loved learning that meat is more of a side dish. I'm sure that helps them eat correct portion sizes. Perhaps we would benefit from thinking about meat in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe I'll have to pass on the Norwegian foods. I couldn't eat that much fish and I don't know if I could eat reindeer either. It was interesting to learn about though.

    ReplyDelete