Sunday, March 22, 2009

Time to Spice Up Your Life!


A report on the world of hot and spicy food.

By Robert Pearse

Section 5

What is Spice?

A spice is a dried seed, fruit, root, bark, leaf, or vegetable substance that is used for the purpose of flavor, color, or as a preservative that helps kill bacteria or prevents their growth.

What are the different types of spices?

The most common spices that we encounter; salt, pepper-based flavors like paprika and black pepper, mustard, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, cumin, lemongrass, etc.

Some people categorize spices by the effects the spice has on food.

These four categories are Sweet, Hot, Pungent, and Tangy.



















The History of Spices


The evidence of the use of spice by man dates back to 50,000 BC.
The Spice trade formed in the Middle East as early as 2,000 BC with cinnamon and pepper.

In the modern era in which we live the amount of spices at our availability is abundant. This has not always been the case in the past.
In the ancient and medieval times spice was a rare and precious commodity. In fact spice played an important role in the development in Western civilization.

What does eating spicy hot food do to my body.?


Not only do hot spices give your food the kick it needs but they also hold many health advantages. Hot food is proven to kill microbes and burn calories.

Spicy food makes you feel hot and the body senses this and releases endorphins that make you feel good. Who knew that eating spicy foods could even be considered euphoric?


Can you handle the heat?

Many Psychologists share the view that the eating of hot food lays in the competitive nature of man.
It becomes a challenge in itself.
In past ages eating hot foods was considered a way to prove virility or courage.

If you can’t stand the heat then get out of the kitchen

(I chose to do this report due to my love for hot food. I am especially fond of chili peppers. I felt it necessary to include this section)

Chili peppers can increase the heat of any dish.

The Reason why chili peppers can be so hot is because they contain a chemical compound called capsaicin.

Capsaicin stimulates chemoreceptor nerve in the skin, especially in the mucous membrane. The more Capsaicin the hotter you get.

There are many different kinds of chili peppers. All peppers vary in size color and heat. The table that is most commonly used to discern the heat levels of peppers is called the The Scoville Scale.

The Scoville Scale












Sources


http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-spices-in-the-world.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice
http://www.spicyfood101.com/
http://z.about.com/d/greekfood/1/0/s/1/black-pepper-2585-14dec05-399w.jpg

18 comments:

  1. Spices is a subject that I know very little about. The most interesting parts is the health benefits that they do offer. I didn't know they had any benefit besides flavoring food. I didn't know that hot foods kill microbes and burn calories? That's interesting. I also did not know that spicy foods make you feel good. Very interesting report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like there is a lot to learn about how to make foods taste better with all sorts of spices. It was fun to learn more about those hot foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the beginning of the semester I did a paper on the importance of spices and how it changed food preperation. However, I did not go towards the chilie pepper route so I learned something new. I had no idea that it was a chemical in the pepper that made it so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is the most interesting report I have read. I never knew that hot foods could be good for you. Also it is very interesting that hot food could be considered euphoric. I love hot food and now that I know all the interesting facts you added i will enjoy them even more. Great report!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is interesting that spicy food released endophins... never knew that. In my opinion, red pepper and jalapeno peppers can spice up vegetables and other healthy food where it does taste bland. For example, I use sour cream instead of mayonnaise for chicken salad, but I use red pepper to spice it up the taste. This report was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This report reminded me of my dad. I have fond memories of eating hot/spicy foods with him. We would eat it until the sweat poured. Might sound painful to some, but I have done if for so long now, I almost can't eat without having some kind of pepper on my food. I have passed this obsession on to my boys (I buy hot sauce by the gallon). I find it interesting that spices have been around since Ancient and Medieval times and that they were once rare and precious. I am impressed by the fact that hot spices can release endorphins, kill microbes and burn calories. I will definitely check out the Scoville Scale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew that hot food kills microbes release endorphin and burn calories. Spicy food add color and improves the taste of food. I always put some spices in my dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so interesting! I had no clue that spices served health purposes as well as just being good. I also found the bit about the body releasing endorphins because of spicy foods particulary fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How refreshing it is to know that eating hot and spicy foods actually turns out to be good for your body! I love spicy foods and just like this article says, I'm the kind of man to engage in competitions with buddies and peers to see who can eat the most or hottest foods. Don't ask why--I guess it's just something to be competitive in. I like the chart of spicy peppers, it makes me want to try some of the things near the top half of the list! Good report!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never really looked into how spices were made or how they came about. I think the thing that blew my mind while reading this was they can burn calories?!?! That came as a surprise to me, because I eat spices/spicy food any chance I get! Great job and very informative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed the chart on the levels of spicyness. I was mainly looking at my level of hotness i can take and its somewhere in the middle, some of the tings i have never heard of but would be willing to try. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who would have thought that eating spicy food could be good for you. I have never heard that. I do cook often and use spiced but I have never thought about where they came from or the different categories of spices. I liked this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a very interesting report. I love spicy foods but I had no idea that eating these foods was actually good for a person. I think it is also very interesting that spices were used as far back as 50,000 B.C. I love being able to add spices to food because I think it makes dishes taste better and for me the spicier the better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was interesting and I have witnessed guys trying to see who can handle the hotness of some foods so that was funny to read. I personally can not handle really spicy foods.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really how you have the meter that shows the hotness of each pepper. I enjoy spicy food so i will look into some of the spices i havent had before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never knew that spicy foods could actually be good for you. I liked reading about how they kill microbes and burn calories. And also since spicy foods make your body feel hot your body then releases endorphins to make you food better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did not know that spices could be so complex. I also thought it was humorous to read about how we relate it to competition. I have seen so many guys try to see who could eat the most peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never really thought about the different kinds of spices. When I think spice I automatically think hot, I nevr really thought about things like salt. To me salt doesnt incerease the heat it just adds flavor so it was really interesting to learn about the different effects things have on the food we eat. I don't really like spicy food or peppers to be more exact but I have seen the scoville scale before. Quaker Steak and Lube has it listed for their wing sauces and when you get to the hottest one you actuall yhave to sign a relase form before you can eat any of it! I think Ill just stick to the sweet stuff:)

    ReplyDelete