Friday, March 20, 2009

Mexican Food

Mexican Food
Victor Acquilina

Section 5

Mexican Food
Authentic Mexican food is believed to be derived from the Mayan Indians from Mexico. They were typically hunter gatherers and there staple foods consisted of maize, which is corn which they would make into tortillas, and bean paste. The Mayans also hunted wild game, ate fish, and tropical fruits. As the Mayan Empire started to decline the Aztec Empire began to take power. Located in modern day Mexico City the Aztecs were a very wealthy civilization. The Aztecs introduced honey, chocolate, chili peppers, and salt into their cooking, while keeping intact the Mayan staple foods. Much of the wild game that the Mayans hunted was now domesticated, such as the turkey and duck.
In 1521 Hernando Cortez and his Spanish Conquistadors landed in Mexico searching for gold. They soon invaded the Aztecs and took control of Mexico. With the Spanish came different kinds of meat and produce. New livestock that was introduced was meat such as sheep, pigs and cows. They also brought different spices, garlic, and wheat.
What we believe to be Mexican food in America is not exactly Mexican food. Many dishes such as burritos, enchiladas, and nachos are dishes which were created by other races. Also there is Tex-Mex food which takes food from both Texas and Mexico and implements them into dishes. Much of what we see today is how many different cultures have came into Mexico and left a footprint on their food.

Bibliography
http://www.world-food-and-wine.com/mexican-food-history.html

9 comments:

  1. Mexican food is my favorite! It's interesting that the food we consider to be Mexican usually isn't. I also thought that burritos and nachos were Mexican. I'll have to research more and see where they actually came from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see more mexican food restaurants. I think if I eaten other than frozen burritos or Taco Bell, I would have different prospective on the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mexican food or rather Americanized Mexican food. I would love to hear more about authentic Mexican foods. If those foods aren't really Mexican then what kinds of foods are? You did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor also have slides maybe he will share with us also. I thought it was interesting that chocolate was initially a bitter drink before milk and sugar were added. Now many people are reverting to eating unsweetened chocolate for their health. I am a milk chocolate fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think when the Aztecs brought in the Spices helped food culture. I like both authentic Mexican and the fast food Mexican. It is all good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we, as Americans, don't really know much about real Mexican food (other than burritos, tacos, which aren't really authentic), I think we should start having some pop up! I'd be very interested in trying some real Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mexican food is one of my favorites. I found it very interesting to learn that what we in America think to be Mexican food isn't true Mexican food. I had no idea that the foods we thought were real Mexican dishes were really what different cultures have left as a footprint in Mexico. This was very interesting and I enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mexican food but from reading your report I know I've never had tradition Mexican cuisine. It's nice to know that mexican foods go beyond el pac and taco bell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is strange how Mexican food in differant areas of the country is drastically differant, as I am from Boston and our Mexican food is nothing like here, and I have had Californian style Mexican food and it is nothing like what we think of as mexican. My sister's boyfriend is from mexico and the authentic food he makes I really can't bring myself to like it and I LOVE mexican food, even Taco Bell. Now that is settling!

    ReplyDelete