Thursday, March 19, 2009

Food and Culture in Saudi Arabia

Amber Hamilton

ND- March 18, 2009

Food and Culture in Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is a very interesting and fascinating place to learn about. The culture in Saudi Arabia is very different from any culture here in the US. Many people think stereotypical of Middle Eastern people and I used to think that before I met my college roommate Abby. She has lived in Saudi Arabia her whole life. She is not Saudi but her parents moved there from England and Tennessee. The culture that she tells me about is so interesting. Some of the Saudi people still stick to their cultural foods. Saudi Arabia has a lot of money and its people live comfortably because they have oil. Gas in Saudi is very cheap because they have the oil. Women are viewed differently in Saudi Arabia and the laws are very different as well.

When people who are foreign live in Saudi Arabia they live in something called a compound. Inside the compound it seems that everything is Americanized. The people who live in the compound can wear shorts and swim suits and they can hang out together. Outside the compounds, however, the women must wear a black robe-like thing called an abaya. Women are not supposed to associate with men. They cannot be seen walking with them in the street or having dinner with a man. The rules are very different in Saudi Arabia then in America. For example if you steal in Saudi then they may cut off your hand and if you kill someone then they may hang you in public for everyone to see that killing is wrong.

Saudi Arabia has many different foods. People in Saudi eat a lot of rice and different kinds of bread. Some traditional breads are fatir (flat bread), arikah, and hawayij (which is a spice blend). (http://www.foodbycountry.com/Kazakhstan-to-South-Africa/Saudi-Arabia.html). Dates are commonly eaten as a traditional snack in Saudi and there is a dip that they make to go with them called Haysa Al-Tumreya. It is made with flour, shortening or vegetable oil, and dates, pitted. You are supposed to serve it hot with the pitted dates. Saudis do not eat pork but they are the world’s leader in chicken consumption. They are also forbidden to have alcohol in Saudi Arabia. One recipe that is the most American-like would be the chicken and rice but it has many things in it which our chicken and rice does not. It has olive oil, onion, ground cardamom, chicken broth, water, a tomato, tomato paste, garlic powder, lemon rind, 1 cinnamon stick, salt, small box of raisins, chicken, and rice. All these things seem normal until it says cinnamon and raisins. I have never heard of putting some of these things with chicken and rice.

When the Saudi celebrate a holiday they usually eat things like “thick soups, stuffed vegetables, bean salads or tabbouleh (a salad made with bulgur wheat), hummus, rice, and the flat bread that is eaten with all meals. Dates, raisins, and nuts are served as appetizers or snacks, and sweet desserts finish off the meal. Ornate rugs are laid out on the floor and dishes of food placed on them.” (http://www.foodbycountry.com/Kazakhstan-to-South-Africa/Saudi-Arabia.html). From reading through a lot of Saudi recipes it seems that they put raisins in a lot of their foods and dates are very common. My roommate told me that they give you dates and a small coffee when you get on the airplane.

Some other things that I learned from my roommate about the food in Saudi are that they eat lamb, beef, and a lot of different breads. She said that they sacrifice the lamb for Ramadan (a holiday) and give it to the poor and they have a ceremony for this. Saudi Arabian culture is interesting and different to think about. If a girl wants to walk with a boy down the sidewalk here then it is okay but in Saudi it is forbidden.

Saudi culture is fun to learn about but not many people know about the culture here because a lot of Americans are close minded and have a stereotypical view of Middle Eastern people and traditions. From what I have learned about the Saudi culture it seems like it would be an interesting experience to live there for a while. Plus most people who live there are very well off money wise. My roommate said it is common to see Ferraris and very nice cars in Saudi. I like learning about different cultures and Saudi Arabia is a very interesting place.

12 comments:

  1. I see that you made it on the blog. I enjoyed reading about Saudi Arabia. The date dip sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk I hate to say it but I think Saudi Arabia seems more close minded considering they have almost zero rights for women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This report was very informative. I thought women had to wear the fully clothes all the time, so learn something new there. The food is interesting, could be appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was interested in this report because we have so many soldiers still in that area. I agree with Jon in that they sound like they are close minded by now allowing women to dress differently in public, and to not be seen with a man in public. Their food sounds pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed at the force that is still used to punish criminals. I imagine that the crime rates are lower than the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicken and rice sound really good. I bet when they sacrifice the lamb they make some very tasty meals out of it. Flat bread seems very common in the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the food such as flat bread, tabbouleh, hummus, and rice were foods that I came across when I was researching Egypt too. I guess a lot of the middle eastern foods have similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom lived in Saudi Arabia for a few years of her life. Its nice to seewhat she was probably eating when she stayed there for the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Saudi Arabian food sounds so healthy. I love to eat a lot of those things (and, yes, I have put raisins in my chicken and rice!). I also see the strong religious influences on the country's eating habits (such as no pork or alcohol).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saudi Arabia was a good topic to write about and interesting. I find the different breads interesting. I also did not know they eat a lot of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea that Saudi Arabian's ate nearly mirror images of Lebanese, my friend while growing up was Lebanses and her family would make alot of the same foods and we would eat nearly identical items you described. You had alot of great information!

    ReplyDelete