Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wedding Foods Around the World






Wedding Foods Around the World

Latasha Wisdom


Section 4

For my project I have chosen a few different countries and I researched some of the traditional wedding foods that are involved in their weddings. The traditional food in each of these countries are very interesting! Lets begin our tour…

Eastern Europe:


Bulgarian-

Sweet honeyed cake and wine

Loaf of freshly baked bread for traditional “bread-breaking”

Belarus-

Wedding pie (made of bread)




Cretan-

Wedding bread with candied dried fruit

Spices include-cinnamon, coriander, clove, allspice, anise, nutmeg and ginger

Also use rum, lemon peels and almond









Polish-

Sharing of bread salt and wine











African:


South African-


Wine, wheat, pepper, salt, bitter herbs, water, and honey












Sudanese-

Rice and candy








North American:


United States-

Only real traditions are cake and champagne

Most people pick food their guest will enjoy














Mexico-

Candy from piƱata

Wedding cake- fruit cake soaked in rum













Caribbean:

Curried goat, spicy chicken jerky, fried plantains, conch fritters

Black cake

Flour, brown sugar, butter, cherries, raisins, prunes, currants, eggs, served with hard rum sauces

Fruit is soaked in rum for 2 weeks-year


6 comments:

  1. I think that the Mexican traditions sound like fun. I wonder what they have in the pinata and who gets to break it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly enjoyed learning about wedding foods in Bulgaria, Caribbean, and Cretan. I had the same topic and could not find any information on the Bulgaria. I think Cretan would be interesting although, somehow wedding bread with candied dried fruit does not sound appealing to me at all! Good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should bookmark this so I know what to plan when I have my wedding. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried plantain is also a very common wedding dish in West Africa. I think that almost everywhere, the wedding cake is always presented as a wedding food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I want to stick to my cake, that's all! I agree that bread with dried fruit doesn't sound to appealing or even special! That seems like something that would be used as punishment maybe!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is very interesting to see how different cultures celebrate their weddings through different types of food. i am getting married soon, so it really helped me get a better look at the significance of the wedding cake here in the US!

    ReplyDelete